REVIEW OF FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT IN PRIVATE FIRMS: UNLOCKING THE CASH MANAGEMENT MODEL
Keywords:financial management, private firms, cash management, model
Financial management is a complex body of knowledge that is still evolving without any successful template for its practice, especially in private firms. This paper reviews research on actual financial management in private firms to see if cash management models critical to working capital management are incorporated. The approach is to review all the models in extant literature used for cash management, itself a component of working capital. However, search results show that only Pugmire (1952) outlines the activities involved in actual financial management practice for local schools in the United States. He identified the generalizable constituents of the financial management process, including budgeting, accounting, auditing, records and reports, and cost analysis. The choice of cash as the review focus is because it is the essence of financial management in private firms: determining and sourcing capital as cash and utilizing it by allocation process to generate more cash and maximize the firm's value to stakeholders. Therefore, this paper contributes to financial management literature by extending Pugmire's (1952) template for public schools with cash management models in extant literature that can also be adapted for private firms, with potential for further research.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 International Journal of Entrepreneurial Knowledge
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
International Journal of Entrepreneurial Knowledge (ISSN 2336-2960) is published by the Center for International Scientific Research of VŠO and VŠPP in cooperation with the following partners:
- University College of Business in Prague, Czech Republic
- University of Entrepreneurship and Law, Prague, Czech Republic
- School of Business and Administration of the Polytechnic Institute of Setúbal, Portugal
- Faculty of Operation and Economics of Transport and Communications, University of Zilina, Slovakia
- Copyright belongs to the Center for International Scientific Research of VŠO and VŠPP.
- The publisher, Center for International Scientific Research of VŠO and VŠPP, provides free access policy to the Journal of Tourism and Services.
- International Journal of Entrepreneurial Knowledge is an open-access journal with CC BY-NC-ND licensing policy which means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or his/her institution. Users are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles, or use them for any other lawful purpose, without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author. This is in accordance with the BOAI definition of open access.